Sunday, February 6, 2011

216 of Project 365: Coffee Grinder

I bought this hand-cranked coffee grinder during my first trip to Tokyo in 2008.

I was walking around the underground shopping mall deciding what to eat for dinner when I saw a row of coffee grinders on display at a shop in a quiet corner. Sadly, the shop was already closed. I made up my mind that I'll go back to the shop the very next day to buy a coffee grinder. There were many other designs available but I find this the most practical because the grinded coffee can be stored underneath so you can use this as a grinder & storage as well.

Despite the language barrier, the owner was very patient & helpful in demonstrating the use of the grinder & show me how to adjust the granularity according to preference.

I only started using this last year in 2010 (yes, 2 years later) and found that this was "Made in Taiwan", which doesn't matter because frankly it's not easy to find something that I like & suits my need without hunting it down. My philosophy is see it, like it, buy it. Of course, cost is a consideration, and this coffee grinder cost less than S$30. And it is not heavy so no reason why I shouldn't lug it all the way back from Japan to Singapore. Even till now, I don't see such coffee grinder being sold in Singapore. Of course, you can find it at some niche coffee place or at some hard to reach corner but so far I have yet to see it conveniently available at departmental stores.

Even if I weren't a coffee drinker, I'll still buy this as an ornamental piece because I really like the rustic, retro & minimalist feel.

That's it, time to enjoy a cuppa!

ISO: 320
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 43mm
Flash Used: No

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails